The Torres Strait Island Regional Council (TSIRC), through the Torres Strait Local Disaster Management Group (TSLDMG) continues to work with Federal and State authorities regarding measures aimed at the prevention of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) from entering the Torres Strait region.
As updates are available, they will be listed here. Bookmark this page and check back regularly.
Restrictions for travel to remote areas to protect community members from the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic are in effect.
From 11:59pm Monday 06/04/2020 until Wednesday 06/05/2020, the following travel is prohibited within the Torres Strait Region:
1. All travel between the outer islands of Boigu, Dauan, Saibai, Mabuiag, Badu, Moa, Iama, Warraber, Poruma, Masig, Ugar, Erub and Mer.
2. All travel between the outer islands, as listed above, and the inner islands of Thursday (Waiben), Horn (Ngurupai), Prince of Wales (Muralag), Friday (Gealug), and Hammond (Kirirri).
3. All travel between the Torres Strait Region and Northern Peninsula Area.
1. Travel is permitted in following circumstances:
- between the inner islands of Thursday (Waiben), Horn (Ngurupai), Prince of Wales(Muralag), Friday (Gealug), and Hammond (Kirirri).
- for delivery of essential activities as defined under the Biosecurity (Human Biosecurity Emergency) (Human Coronavirus with Pandemic Potential) (Emergency Requirements for Remote Communities) Determination 2020.
2. The prohibition on travel from the inner islands to the outer islands does not apply to anyone who has travelled into the region before 11:59pm Monday 06/04/2020 and successfully undertaken the mandatory 14 day isolation period on Thursday Island, immediately before travelling to the outer islands.
Click here for Torres Strait Island Regional Council (TSIRC) Communities.
Click here for Torres Shire Council (TSC) Communities.
A ban on cross-border travel for traditional purposes under the Torres Strait Treaty is in place until further notice.
|TSLDMG Information Sheets|
|Community Information Videos|
|Resources for Children|
|Australian Department of Health|
Torres and Cape Hospital and Health Service
|Support for Individuals and Households|
|Support for Businesses|